Thursday, March 25, 2010

This is my Chile.

So it´s been a while since my last substantial update and even longer since I´ve been able to post photos. This post is dedicated to my first weeks in Chile, adventuring with Andrea and learning the ropes of surviving here from Mario and his beloved family.

This is a "completo". It is the staple food of all good chileans. The huge bun isn´t so much nececcary because the hot dog itself is particularly large but rather beacuse you load it up with avocado, pickled vegetables, tomatoes, mayonaise, maybe some cheese, and then mustard and ketchup as you so desire... godzilladog??

We watched a sky diving competition in Valdivia.

Our lovely little kitchen at the pizzeria with Gloria and Carlitos posing.

The dining area of the pizzeria.

Empanadas de pino

Carlitos is always running around the shop. Mario is in the background fixin up some home made french fries for lunch.

We harvested mounds and mounds of the tiniest coconuts I´ve ever seen in my life. Andrea made some incredible coconut cake too.

Sometimes Mario and Carlitos make whisky from old beer and when you light it on fire it glows blue because its about 100 proof...

This is Sarah. She kind of stole my heart.

Outdoor market in Valdivia.


Chupón makes a really delicious after-meal liquor.
HUGE GARLIC!!!

HUGER MUSHROOMS!!!!

In Chile, blueberries (and raspberries as well) are dirt cheep, in an abundance, and divinely delicious.



Señora Blanca´s backyard. No joke.

Tomatoes and the Ends of the World. Ask me later...
Gloria preparing fresh sea urchins for lunch.

Señora Blanca preparing the... sea snails? (I think)

Lake in Carburga. The water was NOT temperate unlike Mario would have you believe.





La Moneda (like our White House) with Mario and Gloria.

Cacaca, the horse whisperer

Riding horses around La Vega where the farm is located. Please excuse my ridiculous face but the sun was very shiney that day. I didnt realize how awkward it looked until it was uploaded and blogger doesn´t allow me to delete photos once they´re up.

Terremoto, the old man pup.

I danced with the cowboys at a rodeo in the country...

... and Andrea played the güiro on stage!!!!

Viña del Mar

(I already told you she stole my heart)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the pictures and updates. I totally agree, Sarah the dog is very cute. Sounds like you're busy and loving life. What more could you want?!?!

    ReplyDelete