Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mendoza

When I first glimpsed Mendoza, it was a hazy dawn and from the window of the bus the sierras (mountains featured above) appeared weightless floating mid air... all you could see were snow-capped peaks jutting into the sky. For a split second (mind you I´d hardly slept even an hour on the 13 hour overnight bus ride, so my mind´s perception might have been a bit skewed, who´s to say) I thought I was looking out onto the Hallelujah Mountains of Pandora.

Ok, maybe not Pandora but still. I fell hard into some kind of love-entanglement with this city/province. Perhaps I´ve just been seduced by the wine bodegas and unadulterated country side, but I was meant to live here in another life... or perhaps just later down the road in this one.

Potable water from the Aconcagua River. I´ve never tasted such delicious water in my life. It feeds from the snow melting off the Aconcagua Mountain and surrounding peaks as well.


Apparently this is supposed to resemble the figure of a pregnant mummy. There were lots of shapes to sight in the mountains (Frankenstein, a woman´s face, panthers...) apparently but this was the only one I could make out.

Puente del Inca, once a spa retreate with sulfuric hot springs but since abandoned after a devastating earthquake compromised its stability. Visitors are still allowed to view the ruins. I wish the colors had turned out a bit better in this photo... some of the most brilliantly putrid looking yellows and organges you could ever see.

Volcano Tupungato in the distance. Still active and rising every year due to the tectonic activity in the region.

Aconcagua National Park. Left just a sliver of my heart here I think...

The Aconcagua Mountain covered by clouds. After the Himalayan mountain range, this is the tallest mountain in the WORLD, yet it gets little to no acknowledgement I feel. 21 days trek to reach the highest peak if you are an experienced mountain climber.






Not only does Mendoza claim the tallest mountain in all of South America in the Andean mountain range but it´s also wine country. Over 1000 bodegas surrounding the city but only about 90 are open to public tours and tastings. Also of interest to note, Mendoza is quite essentially a desert not to mention subject to horrendous hail storms annually (which destroys about 15% the yearly crop). Irrigation has transformed this entire region (for the better wine lovers must concur) into a new terrain able to support hectres of vinyards. Pretty incredible.

Once upon a time when fermentation vats were constructed from brick and morter, they sealed the inside with beeswax. Modern day vats, however, are metallic and do not require this, of course.

Profile of a vinyard and an idea of what I meant by the Hallelujah Mountains... though not quite the same.


We drank ALL this wine... did we? Hmph. Wish we could have tasted it all at least.

Not something you see everyday lying around in the States.

Homemade liquer made by a local Mendocino family. (What a cool family business!!!)

Full moon rafting and bonfire dance party, our last night in Mendoza.



Poi dancer to entertain.
Plaza Independencia, town center.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures of Aconcagua National Park are breath-taking! I'm sure even more so in person. I wonder if they need rangers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Kate, I actually thought the exact same thing with you in mind while I was visiting the park... another one to consider, Glacier National Park at Fitz Roy in El Chalén, Argentina... ;)hehe

    ReplyDelete